Friday, September 11, 2009

Missed It!

Okay, so last night I decided to watch a little of the Steelers-Titans game after I got home from a meeting. I got all comfy on my sofa and watched the game from half-time on. Near the end of the game I began to feel a little sleepy. The game was great though; it was a tough toe-to-toe battle and the score was knotted at 10-10.

The game goes into overtime. I get sleepier. So sleepy that I get up and go get something to eat (that's my excuse anyway). I get back from the fridge just in time to watch the Steelers win the toss for the sudden-death OT period. I watch the kick-off. Then I wake up and the news is on.

I didn't find out who won until I turned on my computer this morning. What's with that? How could I sit there for two hours and then miss the most important 2 minutes of the game simply because I nodded off?

I suppose that happens to many of us. We are vigilant; we persevere; and then we falter at the crucial moment all because the "spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Perhaps that's what is happening on Sunday mornings when I see folks nodding off while I'm preaching. Maybe next time I should go get something to eat sooner when I'm watching a good game. Maybe I should make sure my parishioners get fed something more spiritually nourishing on Sunday mornings. Perhaps I have put you to sleep reading this. Zzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment