Saturday, March 28, 2009

Categories (a brief excursis)

Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

I’m not sure if this is “real” science or just pop psychology, but it makes sense to me because it helps me order my world. You see, I am a systematizer – an organizer to the “nth degree.” I’m extremely “left-brained” (see above). Starting this blog has jump-started my “systematizing” motor. The need to organize, analyze, and discover why things are the way they are consumes me. There is so much to learn, so much to say, so much to figure out, and so much to put into a framework or system that can be analyzed, used to make predictions of future behavior, and help make accurate assessments and good choices.

Of course I’m in good company with this. The Greek philosopher Aristotle, who was the tutor of the young Alexander the Great, was the greatest systematizer of all time. Aristotle's ambitious aim was to systematize all the existing knowledge of his day. To do so he made critical observations, collected specimens, and gathered together, summarized, and classified practically everything known to man in his day. His systematic approach became the method from which Western science later arose. One of my spiritual mentors, John Wesley was also a great systematizer.

This morning I awoke with the desire to organize what I intend to blog about. I’m listing everything I can think of below. I may have to go back and change this from time to time, but that is fine. It gives me a handle, and I need handles!

Africa
Bible
Books
Childhood (My)
Church
Church Planting
Doctrine
Evangelism
Family
Heroes (My)
Highlands
Leadership
Mississippi
Music
NewSong
Philosophy
Sermons
Spiritual Formation
Struggles (My)
Vision/Mission
Worship

There, now I feel better :-)

1 comment:

  1. haha has mom seen this?! I like seeing what you think about Dad- Chaplain Dale asked our sociology class that the first day- what do you think about most...it was an interesting question to think about/answer.

    I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete