Thursday, March 26, 2009

Here We Go

Okay, so I've been told several times lately I need to blog. First it was the staff at church. Then my good friend Walter Hughes started a blog. Then I stumbled across this article by John Piper titled, "Six Reasons Pastors Should Blog," so I finally decided I'd try it. I don't know, maybe it will be a good thing, maybe it will change my life, or someone else's. Or maybe it won't last a week. We'll see.

Oh, about the blog name. That was a big decision. I puzzled over that so long the battery on my laptop died and I had to go and get my charger.

Donna wanted me to call it "Love, Grow, Share" after the NewSong mission statement.

Leigh had some other suggestions.

I almost named it "De Profundis" which is the first two words (in Latin) from Psalm 130, "Out of the depths have I cried to thee, O Lord."

In the end I chose the name "Life's Mirror," which comes from a poem by Madeline Bridges. I thought it was catchy because I plan to use this platform to post my reflections on things like church life, leadership, faith, books I read, people I love, things I'm interested in, and a host of other topics. The poem itself basically says you get out of life what you put into it. Or to quote those profound poets of the rock-n-roll era, "In the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make." Madeline says something similar. Her poem goes like this:

There are loyal hearts, there are spirits brave,
There are souls that are pure and true,
Then give the world the best you have,
And the best will come back to you.

Give love, and love to your life will flow,
A strength in your utmost need,
Have faith, and a score of hearts will show
Their faith in your word and deed.

Give truth, and your gift will be paid in kind;
And honor will honor meet;
And a smile that is sweet will surely find
A smile that is just as sweet.

Give pity and sorrow to those who mourn,
You will gather in flowers again
The scattered seeds from your thoughts outborne,
Though the sowing seemed but vain.

For life is the mirror of king and slave,
'Tis just what we are and do;
Then give to the world the best you have,
And the best will come back to you.

Okay, I've rambled enough now for one post (I suppose, I've never 'posted' before!)

If any of you more experienced bloggers out would like to give me pointers, I'm all ears.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Hmm you are a blogger; wow- i look forward to checking this site often.
    I love you Dad; thanks for sharing with the world.
    My thoughts on the poem- Jesus showed a lot of love, and was not loved back...by some I guess he was, but by others...nailed to a tree...
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete