Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Beach Life


I am at the beach this week, enjoying the laid back lifestyle. It was quite a run for us right up to Leigh’s wedding. We pretty much went non-stop from Easter on, so it was nice to get in the car before dawn on Sunday morning and head to Holmes Beach, Florida. Holmes Beach is on Anna Maria Island, just off Bradenton, Florida in the Tampa bay area. Anna Maria is less touristy and has more of an “island feel” like St. Simons Island in Georgia, but Anna Maria has the beautiful turquoise water and white sand beaches like Destin or Panama City. It is really the best of both beach worlds.

So far we have enjoyed walking on the beach, reading, playing scrabble and cards, sunning, bicycle-riding, fishing, and, of course, eating some great seafood out. We have all gotten a little too much sun (that’s why I am inside blogging at the hottest part of the day today). This morning we went over to the city pier at Anna Maria and I caught four mackerel in about fifteen minutes. The photo above is one of the fish I caught. The last fish I had on the line got off when my line got tangled with a bird. I ended up having to cut the line to keep the bird from injuring itself. It was pretty crazy for a moment with me having a fish and a bird on my line at the same time. Donna, Amy and I also spent some time on the pier watching dolphins swim around and pelicans and other sea birds feasting on the schools of minnows around the pier.
This morning Amy and I watched a sea turtle nest being moved. I will write more about that later as it was very interesting.

Tomorrow morning (Thurs) we are taking a kayak eco-tour through some of the canals and creeks surrounding Anna Maria. We’re looking forward to that!

We have heard from Leigh and John in St. Lucia and it sounds like they are having fun too.

I will hate to leave this place when we have to come home. Perhaps someday we’ll come to a beautiful spot like this and just never go back home…there are times when that sounds very tempting.

I’ll blog some more later on. For now I think I’ll lather up with sun screen, slip on some flip-flops and head to the beach. Ahhhhh….

No comments:

Post a Comment