Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Wedding


For those of you who do not know, my youngest daughter is getting married this Saturday, June 6th. I am officiating at the service (her grandfathers are walking her down the aisle). This is a huge benchmark in the life of our family as it would be in any family. I typically officiate at 3-4 weddings a year but this one will definitely be different for me as you might imagine.

This week there has been a ton of nostalgia and bittersweet moments happening in the Jackson household as we fondly recall the last 22 plus years with Leigh. Thankfully all four of us have been together under one roof for this whole week – this “last” week (sniff). Those of you who are parents will understand; while you want the absolute best for your kids, you still hate to see them grow up and leave the nest for good.

Personally I have had a flood of feelings the past few weeks. Since I am about to think through and jot down my wedding homily for Leigh and John, I feel as though I need to process my own feelings first; otherwise my comments might lean more toward what I am feeling rather than having something to offer the happy couple from the Lord. So, here go some (somewhat) random comments.

First of all – let me say how happy I am for both Leigh and John to have found what appears to be the love of their lives. They have been dating seven years and it is abundantly clear that they make one another happy. They are both extremely industrious level-headed, intelligent people. They share a similar world-view and both have a deep abiding faith in the Lord. But at the same time they are different enough to make the next 75 years or so together interesting and not boring. Our family has embraced John as one of our own and will strive to help him feel like a true part of our family, just as I know John's family will (and already have) done with Leigh. By the way, I had the “circle of trust” conversation with John just the other night and I think we are on the same wavelength (watch ‘Meet the Parents’ and you’ll understand).

Second – as for the wedding itself, Leigh and John have been amazing in their planning and execution. It seems like only yesterday we toured a few potential sites for the wedding and now everything is ready to go with the location, food, cake(s), dresses, flowers, DJ, photographer, videographer, hair, attendants, make-up, etc…. . Leigh had her “Bride’s Notebook” in which she kept a running log of everything that needed to be done and she did a great job checking them off and keeping things moving. One thing Leigh and John both do well is make decisions. They both have definite opinions about practically everything and they are not afraid to share them or act on them, which I view as a very good thing.

Third - as many times as I have said to Leigh and John, “This is YOUR day” that is not really true. It is not just their day. In tying the knot they are altering the course of several peoples’ lives. They are officially joining together each other’s families on that day. Lord knows that is a scary thought – for the Smiths and for the Jacksons (I say this 'tongue-in-cheek' Smiths, but I think you understand what I mean). Truth is Leigh and John’s union also affects their extended families, friends, employers, and more. So, yes it is “their day,” and we will treat is as such, but there’s a whole lot more to it than that. Thankfully, I am confident Leigh and John understand that as well.

Fourth – I have had lots of compliments lately about “how well you raised your daughters” and every time I hear one I deflect the credit first of all to God (because it is all about Him) and second to the girls’ mother, because Donna is the greatest mother who has ever lived, and finally, to the girls themselves. No parent could be prouder of his children than I am. They are both amazing. I shudder to think what they could have turned out like with the absence of God in our home, or without such a fantastic mom.

Finally – I guess I never said what I think I will be feeling on Saturday. I am sure it will be a mixture of pride, happiness, grief, fear, joy, excitement, relief, and more. In fact, I think it is going to be very difficult to keep a lid on my emotions the whole weekend. If you think about it, say a little prayer for my little girl and her beau, and say a prayer for the rest of us, that we will joyfully let God and nature take its course and gratefully release these two to their new life together. God bless you Leigh and John!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, well stated Dad. I am so grateful for you and curious/excited (even more so now!) to hear what God gives you to say on Saturday. I love you, I love you. Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete