Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Heroes

My dad, my uncle and I toured the National WWII Museum in New Orleans this weekend. Both Dad and Uncle Ernest served in WWII. Dad served in the 26th Infantry Division, entering the war at Metz, France and then marching all the way across Germany ending up in what was then known as Czechoslovakia. Uncle Ernest, who is 8 years older than my dad, was at the helm of a LCVP ("Higgins Boat") delivering men ashore on the beaches of Normandy in the D-Day invasion.

What a privilege it was to tour the museum in the company of these two veterans. I heard war stories from these two heroes that I'd never heard before. Both men's eyes blazed with clarity as they described events from over 60 years ago as if they happened yesterday. My heart swelled with pride at being related to these two brave soldiers, especially when the workers at the museum were so respectful to them (and to all the other veterans there). Salutes and "Thank you for your service, Sir" were frequently seen and heard.

I'm sure some of you reading this post have a veteran or two nestled somewhere in your family tree. If so, don't let the opportunity slip away for you to contact them with a letter, phone call, or visit to express your gratitude for their selfless service. And please act quickly; the "Greatest Generation" is quickly dying off at the rate of over 1,000 WWII veterans a day. Men and women who served in WWII (and in all wars), a proud and grateful nation salutes and thanks you. Because of your sacrifice may we never forget what you've done for us all.

1 comment: