Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: The Sisters Brothers


The Sisters Brothers
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



The Sisters brothers, Eli and Charlie, are hired killers hired sent out to Gold Rush country in the 1850s to kill a thief. Eli narrates the story, and ends up being a fairly likable character despite his many shortcomings. Charlie is a psychopath whom you don't want to cross for any reason.

This book is filled with some very dark humor and quirky characters. I enjoyed the sub-plot of "Dub," Eli's doomed horse, and Eli's hilarious introduction to dental hygiene. In all honesty I found the book enjoyable, but in the same way as when I have a bruise and even though it hurts I keep pushing on it.

This book is definitely not for everyone. Those with an aversion to violence and bad things happening to good people (and animals) will not enjoy it. Otherwise, it's an enigmatic read that you might enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment