Thursday, March 13, 2014

In Whom Do We Trust?


"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2

I received a few dollars change when paying for my lunch today and stuffed the cash in my front pocket so I could carry my tray of food. When I got back to the office I took the money out to put it in my wallet. As I did something written on a five dollar bill caught my eye. The note, written in ink on the front of the bill, simply said Psalm 91.

I wasn't all that familiar with the ninety-first Psalm so I looked it up and discovered the Psalm is a prayer of Moses that speaks of the strength, security, protection, and joy that comes from God. Moses can't help but share the good news that God is his "refuge and fortress" - that's what he means by "I will say of the Lord..."

Moses tells us to let the Lord God be our shelter, our refuge and our fortress. A fortress is a stronghold of a permanent nature; placing our trust in God is placing our trust in something that is permanent. The rest of the Psalm goes on to tell us more about God's protecting nature and loving care for those that place their trust in Him.

I could not help but notice the irony of this particular Scripture being written on a five dollar bill. So many times we place our trust in money, but let's face it, such trust is misplaced. In the end all the things we typically count on to give our lives security and meaning will fade away - but God won't. 

What about you? Who, or what provides your strength, protection, joy, love, and life? God gives all these things to His children. Knowing that you lie within the safety and sovereign protection of Almighty God is a security that nothing on earth can compare to.

Whoever who took the time to jot down Psalm 91 on that five dollar bill probably had no idea their note would prompt so much thinking. On second thought, maybe they did, and that's exactly why they did it.



No comments:

Post a Comment