Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bible Translations

Someone recently asked me what translation of the Bible I like the best. Of course I would like to have replied that I only read the Bible in the original languages, but that, of course, is not true. Actually, one of the greatest things about Christianity in the last 30 years or so is all the different translations now available for people to read. When I was a child you basically had two choices, the King James Bible or the Revised Standard Version. I realize other versions were available back then, but not widely. As time went on other versions came out and became available including the Good News Bible, the Living Bible, the New International Version, the New American Standard, the Amplified Bible, and more. Nowadays there are hundreds of versions available – something that occurred basically in one generation (from me to my kids) which is pretty incredible and absolutely wonderful.

But back to the question I was asked (above); wow that is a tough one. Rather than answer it outright let me just make a few unrelated statements about Bible versions.

The Bible I read most often is the New International Version (NIV). The NIV is considered an “open” style translation and is a good, easy to read version. It is the version of preference for some 65% of evangelical leaders according to the Zondervan website (Zondervan publishes the NIV). It is also the best-selling Bible today.

I read the Bible through at least once every year and have since the early nineties. I generally alternate versions each year as I read. Sometimes I read straight through, other years I follow a reading plan. My current reading plan includes an OT reading, a NT reading, a Psalm and a Proverb each day. I am reading the NIV this year, I read the English Standard Version (ESV) last year. The ESV, published by Crossway Bibles, is an “essentially literal” translation (word-for-word versus thought-for-thought”) that I really enjoyed and currently read probably third in line behind the NIV and the NRSV (below).

The Bible I use for Bible study and sermon preparation most often is the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV). The NRSV is generally recognized in academic circles (seminaries) as the most accurate in terms of unbiased scholarly renderings. All my Bible professors in seminary used the NRSV and most of my higher-level commentaries and other Bible tools are based on this translation.

While studying and preparing to preach or teach I also refer frequently to terms in the passage I am covering in the original language. This is easy to do now that there are tools available online to do so. This allows you to see the various meanings of certain terms the translators chose from when selecting an English word to use in a certain instance. Often a key to when to do this is when the versions I am reading a text in all vary on one particular word.

The first Bible I read cover to cover was the Living Bible. The Living Bible is a paraphrased rendition of the King James Version done by Kenneth Taylor in 1971. It is not a genuine translation, but is a type of phrase-by-phrase commentary that was originally intended to help Taylor's own children understand the scriptures. It is easy and enjoyable to read, but for serious Bible study it should only be used in conjunction with a legitimate translation.

A popular equivalent of the old Living Bible today would be The Message by Eugene Peterson. I find The Message often expresses things in "street language" that people can relate to but when I use it I usually read the passage in a legitimate translation first, then use The Message to help people relate to the passage.

Study Bibles are fine, but I get concerned when I see people study and highlight the study notes more than the actual text of the Bible. People should only refer to study notes after studying the text themselves to see what God has to say to them in the passage.

I mark up my Bibles freely. I also put notes in the margins, dates when I preached or taught a text, and more. I do not have an official system for this, or certain colored markers or anything (as some people do). I just jot things down as the Spirit moves me.

I also find myself referring to “large print” Bibles a little more frequently than I used to, I wonder what that is all about?

There are many excellent online Bible sites where you can view, study, print out, and compare hundreds of versions. Some of the websites I use most frequently are:

The Bible Gateway: http://www.biblegateway.com/

The Online Greek Interlinear: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

The Online Parallel Bible: http://bible.cc/

The Net Bible: http://net.bible.org/home.php

The Crosswalk Bible: http://bible.crosswalk.com/

Which Bible should you choose? I generally suggest that after reading parts of several versions, people would do well to zero in on a primary version to use to study and commit passages to memory from. The issue of translations should not become a distraction. Factors in your decision might include what your personal reading level is and what kind of reading you are intending to mostly do (devotional, pure Bible study, lesson preparation, inspiration, what?). You also might want to consider whether you are seeking a literal translation or one that provides a thought-for-thought presentation. Do you prefer the beautiful cadences of the King James Version, the widely accepted and respected New International Version, the very readable and contemporary New Living Translation, or the scholarly New Revised Standard Version? Each translation has the power to transform your life. Though the actual words may differ, the voice of God can speak to you through each one. The real question is: how will you respond to God's voice as He speaks to you from the pages of this life-changing book?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve.

    Just a reminder for your readers that we English-speakers have such a luxury of so many translations to choose from. More than 2,000 language groups around the world don't have a single verse translated into their own language!

    Blessings today.

    -Paul Merrill for Wycliffe's The Seed Company
    http://www.theseedcompany.org/

    ReplyDelete