Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Book Review: Tales of the South Pacific by James A. Michener


This book was the winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1948. It is a collection of short stories that take place in the South Pacific during World War II. The stories are narrated by an unnamed naval officer and several characters reappear in some of the stories. The climax of the book is a fictional military offensive code named “Alligator.” The “war” parts of the book are sandwiched between captivating tales of love and loss as the bored naval men mostly sit around and wait (and consume lots of alcohol!).

Michener is a good storyteller and crafter of characters. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical South Pacific was based on Michener’s colorful characters in this book including nurse Nellie Forbush who falls in love with French plantation owner, Emile de Becque (remember?) There is also Lt. Cable and Bloody Mary, the island souvenir dealer and her daughter Liat. I still remember seeing the play being performed at Central High School in Jackson, MS way back in the sixties when my dad was an ROTC instructor there. I also recall my parents had the old LP album of South Pacific (the movie). I can still hear Mitzi Gaynor singing, “I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair” (here it is on YouTube).

I am sorry it took me so long to read this book. It really is good. I think Michener’s characters are well-developed. I liked the pace of the book and how he wove the stories together. I thought the climax of the book, the landing at the island of Kuralei, was especially moving. As Michener’s narrator surveys the littered beaches littered with the dead and the detritus of battle the full horror of war is revealed. It is really a shame that this book has been omitted from most “best read” lists in academic circles. One can only speculate why. Perhaps because the musical followed so closely upon the book’s release. It definitely deserved better. I am glad I finally found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment