Friday, July 10, 2009

Pelican in Peril


We had an exciting afternoon at the beach. I was out in the water just floating around and I saw this guy chasing a pelican that was swimming fairly close to shore. I was thinking, “What’s with that guy? Leave the poor bird alone.” About that time I noticed several others were making their way through the water toward the bird. A lady said, “Did you see that pelican? He has a water bottle stuck in his throat!” I said, “No way,” but then noticed you could tell it did. You could even see the blue label of the water bottle through the skin on the bird’s enlarged neck.

Being a bird-lover I immediately joined the rescue effort with the guy in the lead. Unfortunately, just when it looked as though the bird was corralled it flew about 100 yards further out in the water, well beyond our reach in deeper water. Sadly we returned to the beach. The guy who was in the lead got his cell phone and began calling around to see if any wildlife people could come and save the bird. He did not have much success. About 20 minutes later I looked down the beach and noticed the bird had moved closer into shore. I walked down the beach and swam out to the bird, all the while trying to calm it by speaking to it. I got very close – I even touched its tail, before the bird flew again. Just then I looked up and here came the guy who had earlier tried to rescue the pelican to help me. Donna said that when he saw me get so close he began running down the beach to help me.

The guy and I made two more attempts to rescue the bird before it finally flew way beyond our reach in deeper water and we gave up and walked back to our chairs. I introduced myself on our walk back down the beach and found out he was from Minnesota. He was a real nice guy with a lovely family.

I went back to the house and got a snack before returning to the beach where Donna remained. I said, “Let’s walk down the beach and see if we see the pelican again.” Sure enough, we did, and it was closer than ever to shore. It also looked a lot weaker. We turned around and went back to get my Minnesota friend, but his family was packing up to go inside so he did not join me. Donna and I then walked down the beach and when we got near where the pelican was I asked a young man walking on the beach if he would help me. The young man agreed to help so we began wading out to the bird and this time the pelican let me get close enough to grab him. The young man then helped me by holding the bird’s wings while I squeezed its neck from below, forcing the bottle up toward his large mouth. All the while, of course, the pelican was trying to peck me. Finally I saw the top of the plastic water bottle so I reached in and grabbed it and pulled it out. The pelican then tried to take the bottle away from me again (I suppose he was protecting his “catch”).

We released the bird after I got the bottle out and it flew out a ways in the water, seemingly relieved. Several people in the water nearby who were, no doubt, wondering why two guys were attacking a pelican, began cheering and clapping when they saw the rescue and me holding the bottle.

We waited and watched a while and eventually saw the rescued pelican fly off looking none-the-worse for the trial it had undergone. All in all it was an exciting event as you might imagine. The photo above is of me holding the water bottle the bird had stuck in its throat.

4 comments:

  1. I think that deserves a shadow box framing. There's gotta be a sermon in that somewhere! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that. I kept the bottle and Donna said I should put it in a shadow box to use for later when it becomes sermon material (probably over and over again). Before long people will be avoiding me when they see me for fear I am going to "tell the pelican story one more time!" Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure there's a metaphor somewhere in that. Hmmm...maybe something along the lines of sin, and how we think we want it, but then it leads to our death? And even when someone is rescuing us from it, we sometimes try to bite them and make them let us keep the sin?

    LOL...just my love of the metaphor coming out there...

    came by via "blog the beach"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenni,

    Good one - like I said, I'm sure this story will preach many times. By the way I checked out your excellent blog - good stuff. I read your bucket list today and especially liked the part about having a “second week” at the seashore. Lindbergh's book has always been a favorite of mine. The second week is exactly what we just did at Anna Maria and what she says is true! In week one you are still on "regular time," but at some point it all starts to come together and your life takes on a regular rhythm. I heartily recommend it for anyone who can somehow do it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete