Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Someday

I saw a great T-Shirt today. Here is what it had written on it

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

See, there is no “someday”

I did not purchase the T-shirt, but I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately many of us spend our lives just going through the motions waiting for “someday” to come. Someday I will get a new job. Someday I will finish my degree. Someday I will deal with my addiction. Someday I will apologize. Someday I will forgive. Someday I will get in shape. Someday I will be happy. Someday I will _____________________________ (you fill in the blank).

The rash of celebrity deaths in recent days reminds us that even for the rich and famous our days may be cut short and we may run out of time before our someday arrives.

Here’s a thought. Why not make today be your someday?

Why put it off any longer?

When I was a child and had a band-aid on that needed to be changed I would try to painlessly ease the adhesive away from my skin. But that never worked. Sometimes you just need to grit your teeth and rip it off and get it over with. It actually hurts less that way. For you see, "Much of the pain of pain lies in the anticipation of the pain rather than the pain itself" (with apologies to Mike Brady).

I don’t know who I am writing this to tonight – it is late and I need to go to sleep. Perhaps I am writing to myself, or maybe I am writing to you. It does not matter. Truth is truth. Someday never comes. Make today be your someday and you won’t regret it. Deal with whatever it is that needs to be dealt with. Pray about it, make a decision, and then step into the pain and move on with your plan. There is no someday... there is only today.

No comments:

Post a Comment