Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Dearest Little Family...

The image above is a letter from my paternal grandmother, affectionately known to us as "Big Mama." The letter was written to my parents in March or early April, 1956 right after she'd learned that I had been born. I love old letters, although their contents are mundane - just life as it was happening in Bassfield, MS back in the mid-fifties - they provide a brief glimpse into the author's soul. Big Mama's spelling and punctuation was interesting, but you can sense her sweet, sweet spirit as she writes:
My Dearest Little Family,
Was so proud of the little Grandbaby and it was a little boy we did want it to be a boy I know you all are so proud. I sure hope it will be as sweet as it Dad. I know he was the sweetest little boy every was. Barbara I will have to go to the Hospital as bad as I hate to - I got the prettiest card from your Mother that was sweet of her. What does Patricia think about the little boy or did she want a little girl tell her to love him real good for me. Odie wrote that Rex has a canker on his lip was going and have it cut out Wed. sure hope he gets along good. Odie is a lot better seams like. Mrs. Deen is still as bad as can be. Francis come Sunday they are all fine. Glyn and Linsey has good jobs now I am sure proud. We are having a revival at the church this week I don't guess I will feel like going and Dad and Annie Lee won't go and leave me. tell little Patricia I want her to come and bring that little boy
love Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment