Monday, March 15, 2010

Going Back Home

Thomas Wolfe got it all wrong. You can go home again. Donna and I did this weekend by attending worship at the church where I recently stepped down as pastor. We went because some missionary friends of ours were in town speaking about their work in Ghana, and we were their hosts for the weekend. We were blessed by what the missionaries had to say, but we were also blessed to see some familiar faces and by the great worship experience we had there. I was anxious about returning, and both Donna and I felt very emotional, but it was worth it to be back home again.

God has us on such an interesting journey right now. I keep asking to see the whole picture, but every indication is that God is going to guide us in his own time and in his own way. I have the tendency to be "destination" or "goal" oriented. I think in terms of arriving somewhere like, "When I graduate" or "When I get married" or "When we have children" or "When I retire." But the truth is, life doesn't work that way. In fact, that is a terrible way to live because you constantly put life on hold and you miss out on all the great things God is putting in front of you each and every day. All the times and places I see as destinations in life are merely stops along the way. They aren't the "end-all-be-all." Each of us is constantly moving, never arriving. You never get "there," no matter how hard you try.

The answer, obviously, is to simply enjoy the journey; to delight in the process; to trust the transformative work of the Spirit in our lives. on. For me at least, this is terribly difficult; even so, I journey on. Sometimes I even backtrack and head back home.I suspect I am not alone in this.

Lord, in your mercy help us all to enjoy the journey, detours and all. Help us to stay out of your way as you mold us and make us into your image. Help us to have eyes to see and ears to listen to you as your fulfill your purpose through us and our lives. Help us to stay the course we pray, in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment