Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What Are You Going To Do?

"What are you going to do now?" That's a question I hear more and more these days - from practically everyone I know. Isn't it amazing how we let our jobs define us? If you meet someone, the first thing you want to know, after learning their name, is what they "do."

In my case, the answer to either of those questions: "What are you going to do now?" or "What do you do?" is most often a sheepish, "I really don't know." Usually that response is met with another question, "Well, are you still going to be a pastor?" The answer to that one is no, I don't think so. I no longer intend to be a pastor who preaches sermons every Sunday to a congregation that calls me their pastor. The Lord has put me on a different path now. In the sense that people mean the noun "pastor" when they say it, I am no longer such a person. I don't plan to regularly preach sermons or go to committee meetings, or lead a staff who in turn run a bunch of programs. Honestly, I'm not sure what my new "do" is, or is going to be, in the Kingdom of God. All I know for now is I am still listening and waiting to see what God wants me to do next. Whether that is something I have done before, or something totally new and different, again, I just don't know.

I would ask the few of you who read this blog to keep me in your prayers that God would do whatever it is in me He needs to do to prepare my heart, soul, body and mind for whatever He has in store for me next.

Until then - "What do I do?" Well that's a long story...

1 comment: