Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Perspective

On my walk yesterday I was thinking through some things going on in my life right now and finally surrendered them to God in prayer. When I did the sense I got was that most of my problems are all ones of perspective. We have things going on in our lives that seem monumental to us; we feel as though there is no way they can work out. These situations grow and grow in our minds, consuming us - and then, as often as not, they pass.

I believe God was teaching me a lesson on keeping things in perspective. Let's face it, we all could use a little perspective these days. The economy is in a free-fall (again), a hurricane is headed our way, and earlier today an earthquake hit the East Coast. What's next?

It would be easy to become "Chicken Little-ish" right now and declare the sky is falling - but hold on, what we need is a little perspective. We need God's perspective. God sees the big picture. It's like that old, admittedly sappy song from a few years ago: "From a Distance." Remember? "From a distance the world looks blue and green and the snow-capped mountains white...From a distance we all have enough and no one is in need, and there are guns no bombs and no disease, no hungry mouths to feed... From a distance we are instruments marching in a common band..." 

How do we build a little perspective? Obviously I believe the first step is prayer - that's what I did. But you may also want to ask yourself the following questions, and then answer them honestly:

1. Is this even going to matter 6 months from now? A year from now? 5 years from now?

2. What's the worst that can happen? Is that really so bad?

3. What can I do to solve or ameliorate the situation; e.g. apologize, confess, forgive?

4. What have I done to cause this to happen (is it my fault?)

5. Does this really even involve me? Am I triangling - getting into other people's business?

6. Is God in control, or not? Is God sovereign?

Bottom line - it's not the things that happen to us, but how we react to them that matters. How are you going to react to what is going on in your life right now? My advice? Pray, get a little perspective, and remember to follow Paul's advice, "As far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" Romans 12:18. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment