Sunday, August 28, 2011

Where is it All Headed?

Last week we replaced a television that has been broken since May. I was amazed at how much TV's have changed since we last purchased one. Nowadays most major brands of televisions have some kind of connection to the Internet. You can browse the web, enjoy Facebook and Twitter, play games, and yes...even watch TV on a television set these days.

It's fascinating the way all the different technologies are pushing across what were once clearly defined boundaries. We use our cell phones as cameras, our televisions like computers, and our computers as telephones (think Skype or Google Talk). Naturally, most of the technology out there is proprietary - meaning for it all to work together, it needs to be the same brand (e.g. Sony, Apple, Samsung, Google, etc...).

What interests me most is where is it all headed. What's the future of all this technology? Will we eventually have one device that does everything? If so, what will that device be? A television? A cell phone? A tablet computer? Who knows? Maybe the future lies in some new device that has yet to be invented.

It will be fun to watch and see what device wins out. It will also be very expensive for those who decide to be early adapters of the different technologies out there. Will anyone besides me admit to purchasing a Sony Betamax VCR or a Palm device? Both of these didn't make the cut. What's your strategy going to be? I'm not sure of mine, in the meantime I think I'll go watch some TV on my iPhone using the xfinity TV app. If that doesn't work, who knows, I may even watch TV on my new television - I think I can watch TV on it, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment