Thursday, January 19, 2012

Firsts: My First Party

My mom labeled this photo, "July 28, 1959, Steve going to his first birthday party." I suppose kids going to birthday parties has been a big deal since the Stone Age. I did, and I remember when my daughters went to their first birthday parties - they were so excited. I look pretty excited in this photo don't you think?

Actually it looks like I'm embarrassed; that's probably why I'm flashing the pre-Nixon "V" for victory symbol with my left hand, huh? And look at that present! Kind of small, don't you think? I obviously wrapped it - and tied the bow. And even if bought a tiny present at least I got dressed up for the party. Stylin' don't you think? Dad even combed my hair (it was always Dad who combed and put Vitalis on my hair) and mom obviously pressed my shorts - look at that pleat down the front!

Other tidbits about this "First" photo: We lived in San Juan, Puerto Rico at the time. I don't remember whose party it was (I'm sure mom  remembers). And I'm sure cake and ice cream were served.

PS - another "first" about tonight's post is this is the first blog post I've ever done from Picayune, MS. I'm here tonight on a business trip. Back in '59 I bet no one ever imagined wi-fi would be available in Picayune!

No comments:

Post a Comment