Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

I heard a good sermon today  based upon the greatest sermon ever given (found in Matt. 5-7). Grateful for his words (the preacher and Jesus'). Reminded me of the "up is down" world of Jesus where the blessed are the poor, the meek and the mournful, not necessarily the rich, the brash and the "happy" folks. In God's economy the first are last and the last are first. In God's world the master drops to his knees and washes the feet of the servant.

It was a great reminder to depend fully on God in this new year before us - and to practice mercy, and peacemaking, and reconciliation in all its many forms. 2012 is a great time to claim again my brotherhood with the least, the last and the lost; to cry out with the apostle, "Wretched man that I am" and to savor again the joy of my own salvation and forgiveness.

Yes it's time to let go of the past and to embrace what God is doing right now in my life. It's time to stop "barking against the bad" and instead to "chant the beauty of the good" as Emerson so eloquently put it.

I don't know, I suppose attending two funerals in one day and seeing lots of folks from different eras of my life the past few days will do things to a man. I'm grateful for the lessons these days are teaching me.

May God bless you in 2012. Take nothing for granted. Don't put anything off. Stop getting ready to live and start living...now. That's what I plan to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment