Monday, January 9, 2012

Sound Bites

As I write this another presidential hopeful has had a couple of sound bites get him in trouble. On Monday Mitt Romney said he likes having the option of "firing people." He said this while answering a question about healthcare reforms he'd implement as president. Couple this statement with a comment he made a day earlier to New Hampshire voters - that he (the multi-millionaire) knows what it's like to fear getting a "pink slip," and Romney has clearly let his mouth get him in hot water.

But this post isn't about how not to be a successful politician. Instead it's about the way we ALL get ourselves in trouble with our mouth. Unfortunately with presidential candidates, their gaffes make the 6 o'clock news (if not before). In our case, our words often come back to haunt us, perhaps just not on such an immediate and global stage. As I watched Romney squirm as as he tried to explain his comments I found myself thankful that every word I uttered today wasn't taped and later analyzed for slip-ups, misspeaks, half-truths, exaggerations or worse.

The Bible has plenty to teach us about the power of what we say. Proverbs 21:23 says, "Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble."  Proverbs 15:1 says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." In James (3:2-10) we read how the tongue is only a "small member," and yet "How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!" Earlier (1:26) James had warned, "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue, this person's religion is worthless."

Like I said, I'm glad I wasn't taped today. I had a few hushed conversations at work; I didn't always speak as if those I was speaking of were present in the room to hear what I had to say. I'm sure I exaggerated a little today (okay... a lot!). Maybe I should have been taped. Perhaps that's the best way for me (us?) to learn to speak and listen as Jesus would. "Lord, in a 'sound bite world,' help me to remember that you hear it all, and you are the One I really want to please. Tame my tongue, in Jesus' name. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment