Monday, January 2, 2012

Four Things I'm Happy About

Still reflecting on the year just past and anticipating the bright new one. Here are four things that I'm happy happened to me last year:

1. I became a "background artist" (movie extra) for a few months last spring and was in a TV series (MTV's Teen Wolf) and a couple of movies (Joyful Noise, Odd Life of Timothy Green). I have yet to make my debut on the silver screen, and whatever exposure I will get is certain to be fleeting and barely recognizable; but being an extra was fun and it was interesting to get a behind-the-scenes look at the movies.

2. In June I spent a week in Southern California. Donna and I traveled to Pasadena for our daughter Amy's graduation from Fuller Seminary. We were proud parents to be sure, beaming and taking pictures and probably embarrassing our daughter as parents are prone to do. But we also played the tourist card to the hilt, hitting all the "must-see" cheesy places in greater LA including Hollywood, Venice Beach, Malibu, Santa Monica, the Rose Bowl, hiking to the Hollywood sign and walking around (and lying down) in Forest Lawn Cemetery, the final resting place of the stars.

3. In July Donna and I enjoyed an extended stay at our current favorite beach/island locale - lovely Anna Maria Island near Bradenton, FL. While there we got to reconnect with an old friend from high school and meet his wife. We also had time to really explore the area and the opportunity to recalibrate our lives to "island pace."

4. In September I got a job! Praise God! I was hired by Inco Services, Inc. an industrial construction company that serves power plants, pulp and paper mills, wood product companies, recycling industries and more by keeping their factories and machinery in good repair. I'm doing a variety of things for Inco now, but I am mainly involved in Human Resources and Purchasing. I am enjoying using my old business degree and getting back in that mode. Best of all, I'm working with some really great people and bringing home a paycheck.

2011 wasn't a perfect year... my cousin that I was closest to chose to end his own life last January. In April I had surgery. My parents had an up and down health year. Amy broke her ankle in October. And unemployment cast its pall over my personal world for a good two-thirds of the year. Still, all in all I have nothing to complain about and so, so much to be grateful for.

I'm looking forward to what God has in store for us in 2012. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know Who holds tomorrow; and that's enough for me. See you around...

No comments:

Post a Comment