Friday, January 13, 2012

Firsts - My Hollywood Movie Debut

I'm doing a series of posts about "first times" (read yesterday's post to understand why).


Today's first is, appropriately enough, my screen debut which occurred when the movie Joyful Noise was released today. The photo above (I'm on the second row, fourth from the left inside the circle) comes from the movie trailer, and honestly it's about as good as you can ever see me in the movie. For some strange reason when they did the final edit of the film they forgot to leave leave in the circle so you can find me. In fact you would probably have to know my mannerisms and exactly where I was sitting to even notice me at all in the movie. But I'm definitely there in at least two scenes. One is the climatic concert scene which supposedly happened in LA but actually was filmed at the Civic Center in Atlanta last March. The second scene I'm in is when the triumphant choir returns to their small town in Georgia. I run around a corner waving at the bus as it drives by. I did a great wave but apparently still failed to catch the director's attention. That scene, by the way, was filmed in Conyers.

After seeing it I thought the movie was great. It's a feel-good movie with a positive message and lots of singing and dancing. I am definitely bummed the Atlanta Journal panned Joyful Noise - they gave it a "C" and called it "formulaic." They also didn't say a single word about the great extras that were featured throughout the movie. This review from CNN was a bit better. Personally I think it was pretty dumb to release a movie on Friday the 13th anyway. What were they thinking?

Oh well - I had a great time, I got to see the other side of movie-making, and I made some good friends. Best of all I got paid to do so. I promise not to mention my movie-making here for a while now - at least until August when my next feature-length film is released, the Disney picture "Odd Life of Timothy Green."

No comments:

Post a Comment