Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bitter Sweet

Today I had to bid my students at the Northern Ghana Baptist Theological Seminary farewell. I must admit it was a bitter sweet moment. Bitter because it is “good-bye for now,” I’m truly going to miss the guys; sweet because I know how much progress they’ve made in just three months and sweet because I’m going home.

The faculty and students gave me a lovely good-bye fete today. We worshipped together followed by speeches, wonderful prayers, refreshments, and gifts. I received a large framed certificate to hang on the wall, a Dagomba smock, two shirts, and even a dress for Donna which was presented to me on her behalf by the director’s wife who came to the ceremony just for that purpose. My backpack and motorbike were loaded down with trophies as I drove home, misty-eyed, to Seed Ministry for the last time today.

Lately I’ve had a string of things in my life that didn’t end like I pictured they would. I’m sure you know what I mean; the “happily-ever-after” glow when something is done and done well. Teaching over here has made up for a lot of disappointment for me. I’m proud of this work – I’m not boasting; God did it all and to Him be the glory – but doggone it, this one turned out good! I feel totally encouraged by what has transpired. I also feel grateful to my family who permitted me to be gone so long and thankful for all the ministry partners who were with me in spirit, financially and through their prayers. This couldn’t have happened without you guys. Thank-you!

Early tomorrow morning I board a 15-seat plane here in Tamale to begin the long journey home. I’d love your prayers as I travel. I’m not sure if I’ll get the opportunity to blog again before I leave Ghana (late tomorrow night), so until then – thanks again for your readership. I will be posting pictures when I get back to high speed internet. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment