Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Farewell Message


I am preaching in chapel at the seminary this Friday. Since I travel home later this month I will be using the occasion to give the students my "farewell message." I put together the message this morning and I chose 2 Tim. 4:1-5, Paul's charge to his student Timothy as my text. In these five verses Paul exhorts his protégé to do seven things: 1) Preach the word, 2) be prepared in and out of season, 3) correct, rebuke and encourage, 4) keep your head in all situations, 5) endure hardship, 6) do the work of an evangelist, and 7) discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Since I'll only have about 20-25 minutes for my remarks, I've summarized Paul's final words to Timothy, and my words to my students. I tell them that as they go out as new young pastors they must realize that:

There will be TEMPTATIONS. Not the usual sort of temptations though. The temptations facing a pastor are things like the temptation to be popular, which is what Paul is talking about in verses 3-4 when he says people will surround themselves with teachers who will say what the hearers' 'itching ears want to hear.' Pastors also face the temptation to be sensational; to try and make their ministry, and their church just a little more 'exciting' or 'relevant' than the next church. Still a third common temptation for pastors is the temptation to make something besides the main thing be the main thing. Among other idols, this "other thing" can be sports leagues, facilities, their worship team, or even the pastor himself.

I will also remind the pastors that when they get "out there" there will be TRIALS. This is what Paul is talking about when he tells Timothy to "endure hardship" (v. 5). Being a pastor is tough. Oddly, much of the strain of being a pastor often comes from one's own flock. Many times the congregation insists on keeping their pastor humble (translation "poor"). Meanwhile, each member considers him or herself the pastor's boss and many think he only works for an hour or two a week. They are also confident they could do a better job than the pastor and will often tell him so. Still another trial from within are those who pastors bend over backwards for who then turn and stab him in the back – et tu Brute? On top of all this are the difficulties and disappointments that come from outside the church.

My final reminder to the pastors is to be sure to TELL people about Jesus. The five verses from Paul mention this several times (preach the word…be prepared in and out of season…correct, rebuke and teach…and, most importantly, 'do the work of an evangelist'). All of these point to the importance of telling people about Jesus. The world's population recently topped the 7 billion mark, and more than half of them, 4.5 billion, are currently separated from God in their sin and will spend eternity that way unless someone tells them about Jesus and they respond.

My main concern in my sermon is not to come across negative or cynical. There is unspeakable joy in serving Christ and a local congregation; I want them to know that. But I also believe they need a healthy dose of reality. I don't want to curb their youthful idealism, but I would like to help them keep from getting hurt or from hurting others if I can. Pray that when the time comes the Holy Spirit have free reign to say what He has to say and that I will simply be His mouthpiece. The message will be delivered Friday at 10am my time, 6am Georgia time.

No comments:

Post a Comment