Sunday, November 21, 2010

No Place Like Home


Dorothy got it right – there truly is “no place like home.” After being away from home for three months I touched down in Atlanta last night around 10pm and was home in my own house in Cumming before midnight. I had a great welcoming committee at the top of the stairs at the airport. I got some great hugs and then we drove home and Donna, Amy, Leigh, John and I looked at pictures and caught up with one another’s lives.

Home, of course, is not really a particular place as much as it is a state of mind. You can actually be thousands of miles away and still feel quite at home. Familiar sights, sounds and smells all contribute to the feeling of being home; but home is mostly about relationships and people.

Still, I’d be out of touch with reality if I said that being back in your old environment contributes nothing to the feeling of home; it does. Tonight as I sit here blurry-eyed and jet-lagged trying to write, let me just say that I have the greatest family in the whole world and am so thankful they were standing at the top of those stairs. Secondly, let me say that as I was traveling this way for over twenty four hours yesterday (including layovers). I found myself very glad that I'm an American; I not only have the best family – I live in the greatest nation on the planet (que Lee Greenwood singing here).

Anyhow – today was a day of rest after attending Cumming First Baptist (quite a difference from last Sunday’s worship experience at Kpene). This week will be spent with family, culminating with Thanksgiving on Thursday. In the meantime, I will continue to process my teaching experience and to reflect upon it.

God Bless You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment