Tuesday, October 26, 2010

African Guitar

Uriah rips a "G" - Awesome!

One of the members of the South Fork team was a singer/guitar player. Once he got over here he felt the Lord leading him to leave his guitar for Seed Ministry to use. Guitars are fairly rare over here so this was not only a great gesture, but it will be a valuable ministry tool as well.

The other day Bob and Bonnie asked me if I would teach some of the Seedling youth to play a few Christmas songs on the guitar as they are going to put on a Christmas play this year. I agreed, and last week we had the first of our guitar lessons. We are meeting three afternoons a week and I’m basically just trying to teach them the five or six chords they will need to know to play Silent Night, Away in a Manger, etc….

It has been fun. For one thing I have enjoyed getting out the guitar to play myself. It’s been a long time for me. But more importantly, it’s been fun to see the guys begin to learn the instrument and to master a few chords. All the guys involved are gifted musically (they are drummers), so they are picking up this new instrument pretty quickly. Of course they don’t have “guitar-picker” calluses yet, so their fingers have been a little sore. But my fingers have been hurting too!

The calluses, or lack thereof, remind me of one of those universal laws of life: “If you don’t use it, you lose it.” This holds true across so many spheres of our lives; our physical fitness, our emotional health, even our spiritual health. It’s so easy to get lazy, or to miss a day or two, which turns into a week or two. You know what I’m talking about don’t you?

Let me challenge you today. What have you neglected lately? Could it be those spiritual muscles? Perhaps your prayer muscles? Or maybe it is your fitness level; fall is a great time to get outside and take a long walk. Or maybe you need to push away from the table a little sooner this week? J Remember, if you don’t use it, you lose it. While you think about it, I’m going to go pick out a song or two on the guitar. Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment