Monday, October 18, 2010

Community





The word "community" usually refers to a group of people. It may mean where a person lives, or it may be a gathering of people with the same goals. Or, it can mean a very diverse people coming together to work on a shared concern. At any point in time, most of us are involved in several communities at varying levels of involvement and participation.

In the faith community, we gather to worship, pray, fellowship, evangelize and to serve in hopes of hastening the coming kingdom of God. No matter how far apart we may be distance-wise, we are still in community with one another and with God.

Tonight at supper we had a neat couple from Indiana join us who live here in Tamale and serve a little south of here among the Gonja people. A man also arrived today who will be doing "Face to Faith" (evangelism) conferences for three weeks. Add in Jesse (the God's Story translator), a couple of Ghanaian men from the Volta Region, Bob, Bonnie, and an itinerant seminary professor and you have quite an interesting mix of people.

As I sat there tonight (mostly listening I might add), I felt so thankful to be a part of this particular community. I was reminded how God loves to partner with people to accomplish his purposes. I was also in awe of people like the ones I was privileged to share table fellowship with this evening; people who completely dedicate their lives to fulltime missionary service. Talk about dedication! Sure, I've had malaria now – a mild case – but the lady from Indiana just got back from ten months of cancer treatment (while her husband carried on their vital ministry here without her).

I don't know who you'll be dining with tonight, hopefully your family or good friends. But wherever you are and whoever you are with, please say a prayer for people all around the world just like the ones I had supper with this evening. I know when I get back to the States I'll be remembering them; they are definitely heroes to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment