Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fourth Quarter


Tree just outside my window
Today marks the beginning of the fourth quarter for me here in Ghana. I'm starting the last 20 of my 81 days here. It's a beautiful day, full of promise and the compound is bustling with activity. The North Carolina team has arrived, the Seedlings are here, 8-10 workers are here cutting grass, cleaning rooms, and toting water so we can all get bucket-baths later today.

It is hard to believe I will be home in just three weeks. My time here, despite being sick, has been fantastic. I have learned so much about what God is up to in the world, and so much about what He wants to do through me. The main feeling I had when I woke up this morning was gratitude for our awesome Savior. It seems like just yesterday I was writing about only having 40 days to do; now that time has been whittled in half.

What have I learned? Among other things I've learned that malaria is not fun, that God is much, much bigger than I thought, and His workers are diverse and dedicated, but many more are needed. I've learned some Dagbani, all the greetings and a smattering of words; enough to at least know what is being talked about, although I am certainly nowhere near fluent. I have learned to be more patient. I have learned to be more compassionate. I find myself genuinely loving people in ways I've not felt before (or maybe I once did, but had grown too busy or self-important to feel or express that love). I'm still a pretty serious and intense person, but I find myself smiling more and being more in touch with my physical body, my emotions, and, most importantly, my spiritual health.

The greatest lesson I've learned, aside from how glorious God is, is what Rick Warren opens his "Purpose Driven Life" book with – namely, it's not about me. I realize it may not seem that way because I write a lot about me – but much of what I've written here in Ghana has been processing stuff I've been learning. I've come to realize just how "other-focused" the gospel really is. Once we take our focus off ourselves – off our comfort, and our wants, needs and desires, then paradoxically, we find true freedom and happiness. Jesus taught that only those who lose their lives for him will actually save them (Mt. 16:25); he wasn't kidding.

I'm sure more lessons are ahead in the next three weeks. I'm looking forward to each one. Tomorrow I am preaching at Lameshego Presbyterian Church, a place I've never preached before. Enjoy your Saturday afternoon America. I'll be checking scores later in the day, rooting for the Bulldogs to crush the Gators. Naawuni ni pahi ti alaafee (May God give us good health).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great reflection! I'm so encouraged to hear about the many lessons you have learned. May many more flow in the next 18 days.

    ReplyDelete