Friday, October 15, 2010

A New Song

"Sing to the Lord a new song...proclaim his salvation day after day…declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples" Psalm 96:1-3.

For over ten years now this passage of Scripture has been dear to my heart. I must admit its meaning to me today is a far cry from what it was back in the late 90's when God first impressed it on my heart as a church-planter, but to this day the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I read it. I love this Psalm – but what exactly does it mean? What does it mean to the church? And what does it mean to me personally?

As I sit here tonight I again hear the muezzin calling the faithful to come to the mosque to pray. How can I declare God's glory to the Muslims living here on Sognaayili Road? How can I best declare it back home among the self-satisfied non-believers there? How can I help God's glory shine into a world that desperately needs God's light? Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we are doing enough; we're not, there is much more to do.

I would like nothing better than to have an answer to the question of what I'm going to do about this in the next 36 days before I return to the USA. I'd love to know how "declaring his glory among the nations" will play out here in Ghana, and in my home community, and in my own life. One thing I know for certain; this is not the time to sit idly by and twiddle our thumbs. We must ask God to help us see and then grasp the many opportunities that present themselves each day to share the good news.

What about you? What "new song" are you planning to sing? My next opportunity will be tomorrow morning when I teach the Seedlings (youth group) at Seed Ministry. Pray with me that God's "marvelous deeds" will shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment