Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day One

I made it up from Accra to Tamale this morning. I got up at 4am and was at the airport at 4:45 for my 6am flight. The flight takes just over an hour on the little 35-seater prop aircraft. I arrived in a rain shower, and Bob Parker was there to meet me. It was great to see a familiar face! We drove to the compound where Bonnie had a tasty breakfast of homemade waffles and local syrup for us to eat.

I’ve spend most of the day today getting my room all set up just like I like it. I am staying in the same small house in the compound that the family and I stayed in back in July. It seems a bit weird being in there without them, but I am going to have quite a bit of study and preparation time for the classes I’m teaching, so I know the uninterrupted time and space will be good for that.

Tomorrow we’re (Bob and I) going to go into town to shop for a motorbike for me to drive to school every day. If nothing else, the sight of an old geezer like me driving a motorbike through Tamale ought to be good for a laugh or two for the locals. We’re also going to run by the seminary so I can check in with them. I will start teaching on Tuesday.

All in all, it’s been a great first day; hopefully after a good night’s sleep I’ll have more energy to face things tomorrow. I’m reminded of Jesus’ words about taking one day at a time and resting in him. I hope you’ll do the same tomorrow.

1 comment: