Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sognarigu-Kukuo

Things went well today in Sognarigu-Kukuo. I drove over after breakfast and went directly to Pastor Gabriel's house this time. I even navigated the huge mud pit near the bore-hole well you have to go around to get to his house without stalling the bike or falling in the mud. A woman was washing her clothes there in what looked like a mud puddle and as I approached she pointed where I should drive to avoid the worst of it. I nodded in appreciation (I didn't dare remove my hands from the handlebars) and made it. As I did I called out "m-puhi a pam!" to the woman (thank-you very much!). I got to the church just as Sunday School was wrapping up and had a few moments to collect my thoughts. Then we began the worship service. After some spirited singing and dancing, a few announcements, and a special song by the youth choir in my honor, I stood and preached about "The Journey of Life" from Genesis 12:1-5 (Abraham's call).

I likened our lives to a journey with a beginning, middle and end. We had no choice over the beginning of our lives nor do we have any choice about the end. Death comes to us all; it's the great equalizer. But we can do something about the middle part of the journey; we have a choice about the path of life we are on right now. I encouraged the people to make sure they were on the right path, which is usually not the well-worn, broad path; because God's path is the only one that will get us where we really want to go. The old, well-traveled path will never deliver the goods. God, on the other hand, always delivers. That's why Genesis 12:5 says, "they set out for the Land of Canaan, and they arrived there" (emphasis mine). It was a great day and the people received the word of God gratefully and with open hearts.

This afternoon I got to exercise a little and do some reading; it was lovely. Tomorrow begins another week. It's hard to believe that this time last week I felt so unsure about my teaching, about the motorbike, and about whether I made the right decision coming over here or not. Goals for next week include doing a lot more work on my Dagbani (I've barely begun that) and spending more time with the Lord and with my studies.

To everyone who had a hand in getting me here; whether financially, or through prayer, or by your encouraging words, I say it again: m-puhi a pam! I can't wait to hear great reports about how God has been working in your lives and in our community while I've been away.

1 comment:

  1. Steve,
    I have enjoyed keeping up with you on your journey. I was looking at a map to see how close you were to the little girl Tracey & I sponsor through Compassion. I got tickled when google maps told me you were 3 days and 20 hours away! I guess travel leaves a bit to be desired huh! Wonder how long it would take on your bike?

    Take care and know that we are keeping up with you and keeping you and Donna in our prayers.

    Donna & Tracey

    ReplyDelete