Saturday, September 11, 2010

Like Little Children

We had great weather today (Saturday); mid-eighties and sunshine. I took advantage of the weather by heading downtown with Bob and Emmanuel, but our vehicle (a Land Cruiser) broke down so we had to be rescued by Thomas. After lunch I worked on my sermon for tomorrow; I'm preaching at Sognarigu-Kukuo, the church NewSong built last year. After I got what my message prepared, I decided to drive over to the church on my "moto." It took me about three tries to get there, but I finally made it there. I've been to this church several times, but I was never the driver. I always simply got in a vehicle and voila, a few minutes later we were there. It's a whole different world when you are driving yourself, especially in Africa and especially on a motorbike.

This morning Thomas taught the children the story of Jesus getting indignant with his disciples when they tried to keep the children from him. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these" Mark 10:14. Children are much more trusting than adults. They just get in the car and ride because they know someone (a parent, teacher, coach, etc…) can be trusted to take care of them. Jesus is teaching here that grown-ups should believe in him with this same kind of childlike faith.

That's what I was thinking about as I drove out towards the church this afternoon. I was praying, "Lord, I don't really know the way, but you do. Please guide me there and get me there safely." And he did. I didn't exactly take the most direct route, but that was more my fault than God's. As you attend your church tomorrow (or Forsyth Family Fest) – thank God that he can be trusted to always care for us and to always get us where we need to go. His mercies are new every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment