Friday, September 10, 2010

Freaky Friday

Today was an interesting day in Tamale. It began when I got to the breakfast table and was told that the President of Ghana announced yesterday that today would be a national holiday. Can you imagine our President announcing a national holiday the day before it occurs? He called the holiday to observe the end of Ramadan, the Islamic season of fasting and prayer. I received a call from one of my students while I was eating breakfast and he asked if I had left for school yet and I said no, and he said I might want to leave soon because the revelers would probably cause the road to be closed down soon. So, I hurried through breakfast to get off for school.

When I got about half way to school the bottom fell out of the sky; it began raining so hard I could barely see. Keep in mind I am on a motorbike. I pulled over at a gas station that had a lube bay and I pulled directly into the lube bay as if I owned the place. For a few minutes no one came over or said anything to me, then I finally wrestled on a poncho I brought for just such an occasion and I started to leave. As soon as I did, a young man who was one of the attendants came over and said, "You don't need to go!" At first I thought this might be a sign from God, but then I realized what he was referring to is the fact that when it rains over here things are usually just called off because no one wants to walk or ride a bike or motorbike in the rain, and few people have cars. I said to him, "I must go, I am a teacher; my students will be waiting for me." He asked where I taught and I told him, and then he said, "If you must go, let me help you." Imagine my surprise when the young man I had never seen before walked over, knelt down by my bike, and began rolling up my pants legs. As he rolled up the second one he looked up at me and said, "This is how we do it here – your pants will not get wet."

I thanked the attendant and then got back out on the road. The rest of the way it wasn't raining as hard (and the sun was definitely shining in my heart thanks to the stranger's kindness). When I got to the main road there were Muslims everywhere; I've never seen so many people in one place in my life. The police were closing the road as I pulled onto it, but I managed to make it to the seminary. I arrived there safe and sound, a bit damp, but none the worse considering the monsoon and the mob I was in.

The teaching went well today, and the crowds were not as large when I headed home. This afternoon I visited a village about an hour and a half from the compound named Zagua with Bonnie Parker. I mainly worked with the children. Now I'm back in my room and I'm about to watch "Freaky Friday" (the original Disney version) which I purchased at Wal-Mart before I came. Somehow that movie – at least the title – seems to fit today.

I am preaching on Sunday at Sognarigu-Kukuo. I know many of my friends and family will be worshipping at the Forsyth Family Fest in Cumming. I'm praying for that event. God bless you and enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself today...you should be getting up, as we are going to sleep. This day, Friday, sounded wild and wooly, but interesting and God filled. God Bless and Keep You. Love, Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day! Wow! Nice of the man to help you, though. Hope the preaching goes well tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete