Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rainy Wednesday

Today was another washout in Tamale. A big rain woke us all up last night about 2:30am and then it rained off and on all day. This is the rainy season, after all, but I must say I'm feeling a little soggy thus far. The rain is also putting a cramp on our ministry plans. A village visit this morning was cancelled because we knew the road there would be impassable. What I did instead was work a little on my message for this Sunday and a lot on my Dagbani.

Learning the language is really difficult; unlike French, German or Spanish, this African dialect sounds radically different from English. On top of that, my brain doesn't soak up new information as well as it once did; it seems to take longer and longer to memorize things. Much of learning a language is just that; memorization. I did find out about a couple more Dagbani resources so I went and got those. While driving there I witnessed my first car/bicycle crash in Ghana (there are bound to be more!). A taxi driver pulled right out in front of a guy and he went flying. People came running out yelling, but the man jumped up and appeared to be fine other than having a bent up bicycle. Watching it happen shook me up though; I redoubled my cautiousness.

My lesson plan for teaching tomorrow is ready to go. Tuesday's classes did not go as well as previous ones have. I'm in some pretty deep topics now that are tough to teach given the language barrier. The problems were solely mine though; my students did very well considering the way I stumbled through the lesson.

Yesterday I got to video Skype with Amy for a few minutes. I was very surprised I could considering how slow my Internet connection is here. It was great to see her though. I also learned I'll be preaching at Faith Baptist this Sunday. The church is near Seed Ministry and it's the one Bob and Bonnie usually attend. The pastor there is a fine man (and former Muslim) named Pastor Abraham. Tonight I watched an interesting DVD called "The Star of Bethlehem." I've watched a variety of DVD's here: Disney classics, Lone Ranger TV shows, "Facing the Giants," "Flywheel," and "Faith Like Potatoes." Watching movies is a good way to wind down in the evening. Thanks again for your prayers for us. Naawuni ni suŋ (God bless you).

1 comment:

  1. The Lone Ranger!!! I loved that show! God Bless you too!
    Love,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete