Thursday, September 30, 2010

Testing…one, two



Test number two went off like a charm today. Both classes did very well. I'm so proud of my students! Apparently they comprehend Christian Family Living (mainly marriage so far) better than they do Christian Ethics, which I suppose is understandable. Tomorrow I give my students back their Christian Ethics test and we'll go over it, and then we'll start our second section of that class.

Today I had a sweet thing happen in my class of newer students who are not yet very proficient at English (the small class). I told everyone that when they finished their tests, they were dismissed for the day. But I noticed one guy returned to his seat after turning in his exam and he sat there appearing anxious or agitated. Finally he just stood up right in the middle of the test and he announced rather forcefully, "Doctor, if it is alright with you I would like to help my brother who does not know English very well." I gave the student permission and he went over and began rephrasing the test questions in Dagbani for my weakest English-speaker. At least, I guess that's what he was doing; he could've been giving the guy the answers for all I know, but the gesture was so kind, I couldn't help but consent.

The incident reminded me of Peter's words in the Bible, "Make every effort to add to your faith goodness, and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge self-control, and to self-control perseverance, and to perseverance godliness, and to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love" (2 Peter 1:7). I was blessed to witness a very kind act today, may it make me a kinder person myself tomorrow. Amen.

P.S. As my first month in Ghana comes to a close today, let me again thank everyone for their support and the kindness extended me thus far on this mission. Also, let me give a shout out to Rev. Bob and Bonnie Parker of Seed Ministry who now have a blog of their own. If you are interested in learning more about what goes on here on a day-to-day basis from their perspective, check out their blog at: http://seedministry.blogspot.com/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment