Thursday, September 23, 2010

Naa

There is a Dagbani word that I love to hear Dagombas speak – it's the word "naa" The best equivalent for naa would be the English word "fine" or "okay," or even "great." When someone greets you here with good morning (dasiba), good afternoon (antire), or good evening (aninwula), the normal response you would give is "naa," which is to say, "My morning/afternoon/evening is fine/okay/great." When you give the response, you are also expected to slightly bow your head and shoulders as you say naa as a sign of respect for the one you are speaking with.

Thankfully for me as I struggle to learn Dagbani, "naa" can be said at almost any point in any conversation and you're good. When someone says a word, phrase or sentence you don't understand, if you just bow slightly and say "naa" you're usually okay. You'll get some odd looks sometimes when you do, but like I said, the word almost always fits. Stated another way, if you only learn one word to say in Dagomba land, "naa" is your word.

What's funny to me is how the same word, in English, means pretty much the opposite: "How are you feeling? Nah…"
"Did you enjoy your lunch today? Nah…"
"Are you a happy camper? Nah....." See what I mean?

If you've been reading this blog the past couple of days you know I'm feeling pretty yucky (euphemistically speaking) right now. What with sickness, extra struggles planning my teaching, stress about whether my students are actually even learning anything, and now a goat to worry about for heaven's sake – I'm frazzled! I'm letting myself get too busy and worked up about things to relax and bask in God's grace, or to enjoy the beauty of Ghana, or to delight in the company of her people. I've had too much of a "nah" attitude lately and not enough of a "naa" attitude.

Perhaps you've been feeling "nah-ish" yourself lately (instead of naa-ish). If so, here's a passage I read the other day to encourage you:

"Even youths grow tired and weary,
even young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will
renew their strength. They will soar
on wings like eagles; they will run
and not grow weary, they will walk
and not faint." Isaiah 40:30-31

NAA !!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment