Monday, September 13, 2010

Power of Words

Monday at the compound is a quiet day reserved for catching up on administrative details; a day when Bob and Bonnie try not to receive visitors – though it seldom works that way. Today was fairly quiet. I used the day to get all my lesson plans ready for the week. That means when opportunities arise later in the week to go to a village or to teach or preach somewhere, I can do so with a clear conscience knowing I'm not cheating my students at the seminary.

One of the things I studied today had to do with the power of words, especially the words we speak in our marriage and family life. The author of the book I was studying mentioned David's prayer in Psalm 19:14: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer" (NIV). I often say this short prayer just before preaching, offering whatever I have to say to God to be used by him. But why don't I pray this prayer about the words I say in my marriage or to my family? Why don't I speak this prayer over the thoughts my mind entertains (the meditations of my heart)? In fact, why don't I speak it over everything I say or think? As the Life Application Study Bible notes for this verse ask, "Would it change the way you live if you knew that every word and thought would be examined by God first?"

As another week begins, I am going to do my best to remember to speak this prayer several times a day. I'm going to try to speak it over everything that goes through my mind, and comes out of my mouth. I have a suspicion doing so is going to be a quite a challenge for someone with a mind and mouth like mine; but one well worth the effort. God help me.

1 comment:

  1. Good prayer to pray...all of us, everyone.
    Love, S.

    ReplyDelete