Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day in Ghana

It's Labor Day in the USA. They don't celebrate the occasion in Ghana, but they have their own share of holidays and celebrations. I hope all of you are enjoying a day's rest from your work. Labor Day officially signals the beginning of fall in my mind. I also think the day after Labor Day is when school ought to resume each year (and it should end on Memorial Day).

School does begin for me the day after Labor Day at the Northern Ghana Baptist Theological Seminary (BGBTS) here in Tamale. Tomorrow morning at 8am I will face my first class and we'll get started. I can hardly wait. I went over to the seminary today to meet with Rev. John just to make sure everything is on "go" and it is. I was told I will have 17 students whom I will teach six hours a day on Tues, Thurs. and Fri. There are two classes a day; one from 8-10am followed by chapel from 10-10:30am, and then a second class from 10:30-12:30. That's not too bad of a schedule. I'll know more about it once I actually roll up my sleeves and get started tomorrow, but for now I'm pumped.

So far on my Labor Day, besides visiting the seminary, I have taken another motorbike excursion. I rode for about 20 minutes, got her up to 44 kilometers per hour, dodged a few more goats, and even bought my first petrol (gas) at a nearby station. I only stalled the bike one time today, which is also a first for me. I'll probably go out again later today, barring further rain. It has rained every day I've been here so far. I have a hunch I'm going to get wet plenty of times driving to and from school on my motorbike. That should be invigorating!

Other stuff going on … I watched a great movie on my laptop last night called "Faith Like a Potato" about a Scotsman who becomes a Christian in South Africa. I borrowed the movie from Bob and Bonnie and it's probably not super available back home, but if you ever get the chance to watch it you should. Also a couple from Kentucky, Phillip and Susan Branan arrived at Seed Ministry today. The Branans conduct marriage enrichment and marriage counseling seminars and they will be going around to local churches for the next 3 weeks teaching. They seem like very nice people. I love being with Bob and Bonnie, but it will be nice to have more people around too.

Enjoy your Labor Day and keep us in your prayers even as I pray for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment