Sunday, September 19, 2010

Faith Baptist

I preached at Faith Baptist Church this morning. Like a circuit-rider of old I rode my noble steed, "Royal" (the make of my motorbike, which I have named like my horse) to the church. When I arrived Sunday School was underway. Most Ghanaian churches have an hour-long "one-room" Sunday School class for all ages in the sanctuary prior to the worship service (not unlike country churches in America). Rev. Abraham Mahama, the pastor of Faith Baptist taught today and I enjoyed his teaching.

After Sunday School we went straight into the worship service which consisted of a lot of singing, dancing, and special music by both the newly named "Wonderful Singers" children's choir and the youth choir. After a few announcements Pastor Abraham introduced me as a "great theologian who has come to us all the way from America to preach" among other accolades. Introductions are really big here; and people exaggerate a lot! While concluding his extensive introduction of me Pastor Abraham told the parents there to make sure their children were attentive and if not to correct them at once. He also pointed out a woman in the back with a switch who would keep the back section of the church in order, and Moses, a young man in his 20's who had the other door covered; just in case any children should get out of line. Abraham added that if any adults wanted to have a conversation they should go outside as well. He clearly wanted the church's full attention during the preaching.

It is very interesting how direct and specific such instructions usually are in churches here. Last week as Pastor Gabriel was introducing me at Sognarigu-Kukuo he also warned the people to listen. He spoke very forcefully and concluded by telling the mothers there that if their babies got fussy they were to "Give them the breast!" (his exact words). And, as always happens here, several did exactly that as I preached.

As for the sermon from this "great theologian from America," well, in preaching parlance I would say that I struggled a bit on the take-off, which I attribute to getting used to my translator, but then it got a little better. Honestly though, I also struggled with the landing. That's the thing about a good sermon; it takes all three for a really good one: A smooth takeoff, a soaring middle, and then a soft landing. The way I look at it, I did okay today, despite the bumpy ride. I even taught them the chorus of Aaron Shust's "My Savior My God" after I preached, and if my singing doesn't frighten folks nothing will.

At 12:41 the service ended and the people filed out of the hot building with smiles on their faces and a spring in their step. Keep in mind that most of them (and it was a full house) had been there 3 hours and 41 minutes. What's more they were there without water, rest rooms, soft seats, air-conditioning, nurseries, PowerPoint, and many other "essentials" for people like you and me. As I drove away, dodging cavernous mud holes on old Royal, I too had a smile on my face and a song in my heart; grateful for the chance of sharing a few hours today with the beautiful Jesus-loving people of Faith Baptist.

No comments:

Post a Comment